- The player is equipped with a PDA at the start of the game which serves as the nexus for information subsequently discovered.
- The player may acquire other PDAs from deceased NPCs or through other means which may be traded or dropped but the player's own PDA may never be jettisoned.
- In order to conduct downloads from the various PCs that are discovered, it will be necessary to fit an Xray PDA Downloads module.
- When the player consults the PDA by selecting it with "P" on the keyboard the default view is of the Task list adjacent to a cut down Map window.
- Within the Map area, there may exist various markers that will display a short message when moused-over.
- The information that the player gains from these are referred to as a PDA description to distinguish them from the various other data also present in the PDA.
- Generally speaking, these markers are volatile and are removed from the Map when a task is determined or a Stash has been altered or cleared.
Detailed task information
- Each task may also have further information available is it's text/map button is toggled.
- Is not volatile and forms the player's Log in the diary section of the PDA.
- There is a separate "Message history" section here that lists the most recent dialogues that the player has received and includes any incoming transmissions.
- A general knowledge base for the various phenomena observed in LA. Any artifact recipes purchased will also be listed here.
- With a suitably equipped PDA this section will also gradually become populated with data.