- The player is equipped with a PDA at the start of the game which serves as the nexus for information subsequently discovered.
- The player may acquire other PDAs from deceased NPCs or through other means which may be traded or dropped but the player's own PDA may never be jettisoned.
- In order to conduct downloads from the various PCs that are discovered, it will be necessary to fit an Xray PDA Downloads module.
- When the player consults the PDA by selecting it with P on the keyboard the default view is of the Task list adjacent to a cut down Map window.
- Within the Map area, there may exist various markers that will display a short message when moused-over.
- The information that the player gains from these are referred to as a PDA description to distinguish them from the various other data also present in the PDA.
- Generally speaking, these markers are volatile and are removed from the Map when a task is determined or a Stash has been altered or cleared.
Detailed task information
- Each task may also have further information available is it's text/map button is toggled.
- Is not volatile and forms the player's Log in the diary section of the PDA.
PDA message history
- There is a separate "Message history" section here that lists the most recent dialogues that the player has received and includes any incoming transmissions. Mission briefings that take the form of a dialogue exchange are placed here and are therefore volatile.
PDA contact information
- The PDA is also used to display the short bio information that may be provided for non-hostile NPCs within the player's detection range.
- Note that this range exceeds the mini-map display range.
- The Trader faction disable this capability on their PDAs.
- Default hotkey: H.
PDA map location
- Accessed using the default M key.
- Provides a view of the Zone, defaulting to the player's immediate vicinity when first opened within a given Level.
- Map may be annotated by the player, zoomed and dragged to other areas, etc.
- A general knowledge base for the various phenomena observed in LA. Any artifact recipes purchased will also be listed here.
- Also lists brief information about several Levels, Anomalies and Artifacts.
- Default hotkey: P then select i.
- With a suitably equipped PDA this section will also gradually become populated with data.
- Requires the attachment of an Xray PDA Downloads module.
- Adding map locations for vehicles, lootpiles and important areas is recommended. The LA Zone is large.