Got a job for you, Marked One...
The Grabber is an anomaly appearing in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost Alpha from v1.4007.
- v1.30013 - 1.4005:
- Largely invisible.
- The locations of two specimens have long been a source of confusion for being decorated with "huge puffballs" which in early versions could be made to jump by throwing bolts at them.
- The locations also spawned 'Rusty Hair' type artifacts that frequently became trapped within the active radius of the anomaly.
- The anomalies were exceptionally dangerous to explore.
- The gamefile control codes were almost certainly not defined by any "zone_grabber" as this was absent from the code.
- Хваталка = Grabber.
- Game coding subsumes the Ameba property set into the control files for Grabber. With the absence of the corresponding "ameba_spore" from the gamefiles in v1.4007, this may explain the absence of "puffballs" in he Cordon swamps.
- Also invisible.
- The "Grabber" is mentioned in the anomaly set of the Elite anomaly detector.
- These Grabber anomalies replace whatever was previously coded at the Cordon swamp locations.
- (The previously seen "puffballs" are absent)
- Still exceptionally dangerous to explore.
- In addition to Cordon, several instances replace some of the Ameba anomalies near the "BTR ladder" in Pripyat Underground.
- Other occurrences on other levels are open to speculation.
- The anomalies may be explored provided that the player uses a high level of "chemical burn" protection. Other protection is not needed.
- The anomaly initially 'stuns' the player into immobility.
- Without prophylactic "chem burn" measures, death is very rapid.
- Provided that 100%+ of suitable protection is worn, no damage will ensue even if unarmoured (see gallery)
- There is a lack of wildlife nearby, except for the occasional bloodsucker in Cordon.
- Players may kill their actor in the anomaly to precipitate Artifact Spawns (ironically fulfilling the initial Kill Strelok task that was cancelled)
- N.B. The spawn results may be observed on the console, but actual spawns take 10-15 seconds to activate.