Got a job for you, Marked One...
|“||Apart from its positive properties, this artifact seems to react to certain elements present in the Zone. Some say that if handled properly, it can be used as a zone-proof compass.
- Inventory description, v1.30013 - 1.4005
|“||A rare artifact - it's been several years since one was found. The artifact can locate gaps in anomaly fields. It is believed that it can help one traverse the most complex anomaly fields completely unharmed. However, very few know how to handle it properly.
- Inventory description, v1.4007
- A rare artifact never found upon the bodies of dead stalkers nor in any stashes.
- Only of use to the player in aiding the completion of one mission from v1.4002.
- The player receives one specimen from Guide after meeting him in Outskirts later in the game.
- The artifact serves no discernible purpose as far as gameplay is concerned.
- The player will very likely have superior artifacts by this time in any event.
- The item becomes integrated into the story plot and gains quest item status.
- One can be found in Bandit Mine in a lower section, behind one of three supply boxes in front of doors. This one must be obtained for passing through teleportation anomaly which is spawned with Apparitions after entering the mine provided that the Unlucky stalker task is active.
- Note that this second copy will not register on either the Detector "Echo" nor its variant the Detector "Ocher". This is usually not a consideration as the item is easily detected visually and the player has other priorities at that time anyway.
- See trivia below. With the recipe effectively unavailable to the player, these two instances are the only ones in the game.
- v1.30013 - 1.4005:
- The Compass may be synthesized using an Artifact Merger by combining a Doughboy, a Crystal Thorn and a Mica. None of these precursors are in any way commonplace artifacts and the resultant creation, even if conversion is successful, is worth considerably less than the sum that could be obtained for its precursor parts.
- If worn on the player's belt, this artifact registers in the HUD with a red negative radiation modifier to the suit properties. This is unlike other artifacts which do not show such modification (v1.30013 - 1.3003), even though the effects are applied.
- Was originally spawned by the Space Anomaly in Clear Sky.
- No recipe available to the player.
- The gamefiles specify a Parent Anomaly for this artifact. Access to its known location in Cordron is not possible.