- The Anomaly is in many respects the defining feature of how the whole Zone differs from the external Big Land.
- An Anomaly may exist singly in isolation but can often be observed in clusters of Anomalies of considerable variety.
- All anomalies should be treated with respect by Stalkers of any factional persuasion as they are almost universally inimical to the individual's well-being.
- There are a variety of different properties that Anomalies generate or manifest within the Zone and these properties are helpful in separating them into their various categories.
- Between versions, the control files vary for any given encountered anomaly.
- The player begins the game with a basic Simple anomaly detector which will 'beep' in the vicinity of an anomaly.
- The player may also note atmospheric or visual disturbances in areas where they occur.
- The passage of local fauna through the effective area of an anomaly may also assist in determining their location.
- Usually confined to three notional levels (weak, average and strong) but may also have special classes for variety ("zone_radioactive_killing" being a more powerful one than the 'strong' version.
- As far as Artifact Spawns are concerned, weedy anomalies spawn low-tier products with the more powerful zones generating the "good stuff".
List of anomalies by principal effect
Heat based anomalies
- Death (a variant of the Springboard)
- Whirligig (also referred to as "Merry-go-round")
- Ameba (I'm open to any name that you want to call this - seen in Darkscape and Pripyat Underground notably)
- Burnt Fuzz
- Rusty Hair
- Witches' Jelly
- See chemical anomalies above.
Anomalies with uncertain provenance